Wild Rice Salad with Georgia Pecans & Preserved Fruits
- Serves 8
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/8 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2/3 cup Georgia pecans halves, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup midget raisins or dried currants
- 2-1/2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 2-1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice, cooled
- 6 green onions, trimmed and sliced thin
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
Prepare dressing: Place the fresh squeezed orange juice and sugar in a small pot and reduce by half. Chill, then add the juice from the lemon and the 2 tablespoons olive oil and set aside.
In large skillet, heat 1/8 cup olive oil and sauté shallots until slightly tender; add the pecans and toast in the pan for 2 - 3 minutes on medium. Add the tarragon and all of the dried fruits. Cook slowly for another 5 minutes or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill this mixture.
Once all components are cold, mix the rice, fruit mixture, green onions, and dressing. Season to taste with kosher salt and white pepper.
Nutrition information per serving—calories: 264 ; protein: 5g ; carbs: 36g; saturated fat: 1g; monounsaturated fat: 8g; polyunsaturated fat: 2g; cholesterol: 0mg; fiber: 4g; sodium: 80 mg.