- Serves 8
- Prep time of bulgur: 2 hrs., Salad prep time: 20 min.
- 1 cup bulgur (see notes)
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted Georgia pecans (see notes)
Place bulgur in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let it stand until softened, about 2 hours. Line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth, and pour in the bulgur. Twist the cloth and squeeze until all the moisture has been extracted. This can be done a day or night ahead.
Transfer bulgur to a large bowl. Fold in onions, parsley, mint, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in tomatoes and cucumber. Sprinkle toasted pecans over the top.
Serve at once, or slightly chilled.
Notes: Bulgur (also spelled bulghur or bulgar) is wheat that has been steamed, dried and crushed. It is found in the natural foods section of supermarkets. Toasting pecans enhances the flavor. Place them in a pie plate or on a baking sheet in a 300 degree F oven. Bake about 10 minutes for halves or 6 - 7 minutes for chopped pieces, stirring once or twice. They should be light golden and aromatic. Remove at once.
Per serving: 194 calories, 12 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrate, 110 mg sodium.