Hoppin' John Salad with Toasted Georgia Pecans
- Serves 6
- Prep time: 45 min.
- 4 cups thawed frozen black-eyed peas or drained canned black-eyed peas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, or pecan oil
- 1 sweet yellow or red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups defatted reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted Georgia pecans
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Drain peas well and set aside.
In a large wide saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers; stir and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute to coat the grains. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add salt, cayenne pepper and reserved black-eyed peas. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed.
To serve, mound on serving plates and shower with green onions, toasted pecans and black pepper. Serve hot, warm or cold.
Per serving:330 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 mg cholesterol, 50 g carbohydrate, 577 mg sodium.