Mediterranean Chicken Stir-Fry with Georgia Pecans Over Parmesan Polenta
- Serves 4
- Prep time: 15 min., Cooking time: 30 min.
With tender vegetables and chicken atop soft polenta, a scoop of pecans adds just the right crunch and texture needed to make this dish the best it can be.
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
Heat water to boiling. Combine cornmeal, milk, salt, and sugar. Slowly stir into boiling water. Simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture is very thick but still soft rather than stiff—about 7 - 8 minutes. Stir in parmigiano, cover, and set aside to keep warm.
- 1 pound chicken tenders (or 1-inch thick strips of boneless, skinless chicken breast)
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, cut in thin wedges
- 20 asparagus spears, cut crosswise into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup Georgia Pecan halves
- Fresh lemon juice to drizzle
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
Mix chicken tenders or strips with 2 teaspoons garlic, salt and pepper; set aside. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in skillet. Sauté red onion, asparagus, and rosemary 4 minutes. Add remaining 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, and cook until tender-crisp. Season to taste and set aside on plate.
Add pecan halves to skillet and toast until slightly darkened, crisp, and fragrant—3 - 5 minutes. Add to vegetable mixture.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through—10 - 12 minutes. Return vegetables and pecans to skillet with chicken and cook briefly to heat through. To serve, spoon warm polenta onto each plate, and top with chicken and vegetable mixture. Drizzle each serving with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and serve.
Nutrition information per serving – calories: 481; protein: 30g; carbs: 29g; saturated fat: 5g; monounsaturated: 14g; polyunsaturated fat: 6g; cholesterol: 77mg; fiber: 5g; sodium: 637 mg.