Roasted Pepper Georgia Pecans
- Makes 16 servings
- Prep time: 10 min., Cooking time: 20 min., plus 30 min. to cool in turned-off oven
Southerners might think this is sacrilege to mess with toasted pecans. But here is a crispy pecan that's lower in fat than the traditional toasted nuts with butter and salt. And it's nice and spicy, too.
- 1 pound Georgia pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, or more to taste
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine pecan halves with egg white. Make sure pecans are well coated.
In a small bowl, combine hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Spoon over pecans and stir to combine. Sprinkle on coarse salt and toss to coat pecans well.
Spread nuts onto two baking sheets and place in oven. Bake pecans about 20 minutes, or until crisp. When cool, store pecans in airtight tins or plastic bags.
Packaging tip: Tie these pecans in a clear cellophane bundle. Some khaki-colored organdy ribbon, a nice rich gold organdy, or some neutral raffia would look nice around them. For a festive touch, add a sprig of evergreen or holly.